Simple Orange Ginger Chicken
This Orange Ginger Chicken speaks for itself. This super simple dish has 5 ingredients, and is much healthier than the orange chicken you’d find at a Chinese restaurant. As part of a weeknight dinner with steamed snow peas and brown rice, the fiber and protein will keep your blood sugar from spiking, while the tangy and sweet orange sauce satisfies a craving for sweets.
As I said on Instagram, if you don’t fall in love with me after trying this recipe, then we’re just not meant to be. ;-D
- 2 lbs chicken (I used 1½. There will be enough sauce for 2 lbs)
- 3 T. cornstarch or flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 T. canola, peanut or other neutral oil
- 1-2 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 10 oz jar of just fruit orange marmalade
- 1 T. Rice wine vinegar
- Place the corn starch or flour in a zip lock bag for dredging
- Cut chicken into bite sized pieces and toss with salt
- Put chicken pieces in the baggie with corn starch or flour and shake until even coated
- Heat the oil in a large non stick skillet over med/high heat until shimmering.
- Cook the chicken in one layer until lightly browned and cooked through 2-3 mins per side. You will need to cook the chicken in batches.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and reserve. Wipe out any burned bits in the pan.
- Reduce heat to low, and add the marmalade, 1 tsp of the ginger and the rice wine vinegar
- whisk until combined.
- Taste to see if you want more ginger and/or more salt
- Make it sweeter by adding more rice wine vinegar or a tsp of honey
- Add the cooked chicken pieces to the sauce and toss to coat.